A delicious and moist caramel cake that has an amazing caramel sauce on top! Serve it with some fresh whipped cream and you will have a family favorite recipe!
- 9 tablespoons butter, softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup water
- caramel sauce ingredients:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- ¼ cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- heavy whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9 inch round or square pan and set aside. (I used a 9 inch springform pan and it worked great)
- In a large bowl or kitchenmaid mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses and egg until blended together. Combine the flour, baking
- soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately
- with water.
- Pour the cake into the 9 inch pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.
- To make the caramel sauce: In a medium size saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch. Add the water and bring to a boil until the sauce starts to thicken about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cubed butter and vanilla until melted and smooth. Serve over warm cake with whipped cream.